Choosing a roofing contractor is no different from hiring an expert for any other installation or repairs needed around your property. However, all roofers are not made the same and if you hire someone who is less than competent or qualified, the longevity and visual appeal of your roof could be compromised. Here are a few things to consider before hiring a roofer to work on your home.
- Credentials, Qualifications
Whenever you are getting work done on your home, it is never a good idea to hire someone straight out of the yellow pages without thoroughly checking their credentials. Some of the qualities to look for in a great roofer are as follows (you don’t need to find someone who meets all of them but at least several of the conditions should be met without you over-reaching on your budget):-
- Find a roofer who is adequately licensed to practice in your area. Each city or state has different municipal laws and paperwork required so double-check that your roofer or roofing contractors possess those.
- A roofer should be bonded and insured meaning they should have a fund with a bonding company to pay clients if the need arises and they should be insured in the case of any acquired liability or accident.
- When you conduct a preliminary interview with the roofer they should be fairly transparent about the cost estimates for the project you have in mind and they should be willing and able to provide solid references. The more experience they have the better!
- Their Range Of Services & Expertise
A crucial part of choosing a roofer is to ascertain whether they provide the service you need with the required expertise. Some of the many services roofers and roofing companies provide are damage repair, installations, ventilating, insulation, cleaning, painting and treating, and professionally removing debris. Some services will come more highly recommended than others for every individual roofing company so internet research and recommendations are an important tool to help you navigate.
- Individual Roofers Or Companies?
When you are looking to get any work done on your roof you will have to choose between independent roofers or contractors and roofing companies that typically issue a whole team of roofers for different projects. When you hire an individual it can be more cost-effective compared to engaging a company and independent roofers are a good bet for smaller projects and evaluations.
For more extensive projects such as repairing considerable damage or redoing a whole roof, it can be risky to get an independent roofer (who may engage an extra sub-contractor or two) because they will simply take too long. Independent roofers may also lack the newer and more advanced tools and equipment that a large roofing company is sure to possess. To be on the safe side opt for insurance claim roofing so if anything goes wrong, you are covered with regards to cost. Warranties and guarantees are also more readily provided by roofing companies compared with independent contractors in most cases.