One of the most important metrics that tenants consider when looking at properties is the security of the premises. By focusing on the correct security investments landlords can improve the uptake of their properties and, just as importantly, retain existing tenants.
But understanding what modern tenants are looking for in a security system is essential. Investing in an old-fashioned alarm system that does nothing but disturbs the neighbors is not going to impress today’s tenants.
So, just what are modern tenants looking for when it comes to security? That’s the question this article addresses.
Understanding the Modern Tenant’s Security Expectations
Keeping it under lock and key is no longer enough. Today’s tech-savvy tenants demand that the tech that permeates their everyday lives extends to keeping them and their belongings safe.
Modern tenants want comprehensive security that integrates smart technology to ensure a safe living experience with a minimum of fuss. This is the need that landlords must meet if they are to retain modern tenants.
Of course, tenants also consider other aspects like integrated energy-efficient solutions and home automation features that go beyond security. But feeling secure in your space is a fundamental human requirement, and this elevates the importance of modern security systems in retaining existing tenants and attracting new ones.
Let’s have a look at some of the state-of-the-art security investments that can help to keep tenants happy.
Security Investments that are “The Key” to Retaining Tenants
Recent advancements in cloud computing, IoT, and AI have changed the way we interact with technology and massively expanded the capabilities of computers to help us in every walk of life. Security systems are one of the areas where this rapid advancement has had a massive positive effect.
Security components that integrate these advances feature heavily in the following list. Starting with one that most people are familiar with – the not-so-humble CCTV System:
1. Advanced Security Cameras
If you associate grainy black-and-white footage with CCTV systems then modern camera systems will come as a surprise. Today’s cameras offer full HD, audio, night & IR vision, and much more.
Modern surveillance cameras are first on the list because of their effectiveness, not just in detecting crime, but in preventing it too. Indeed, just the presence of a visible security camera can deter as much as 50% of potential break-ins.
The range of cameras available means that there are solutions for every type of building. One of the main choices is what type of camera to opt for – Typically, deciding between dome versus bullet cameras is one of the most common questions that landlords face. Understanding this and other factors like integrated smart technology and cloud-based solutions, can help landlords choose the right solution to keep tenants happy.
2. Modern Intercom Systems
Intercom systems are another security component that has undergone a radical technological overhaul. These are no longer traditional “buzzer” telephone systems with scratchy audio, modern systems are far more powerful and versatile.
Among the features that modern intercom systems integrate are:
- HD Audio and Video: Crystal-clear communication and identification with high-definition audio and video quality.
- Mobile App Integration: Remote access and control through mobile apps for the optimum in convenience.
- Advanced Access Control: Enhanced security with features like keyless entry and efficient visitor management.
- System Integration: Seamless integration with other security systems such as surveillance cameras and alarms for comprehensive protection.
A modern apartment building door intercom system is one of the most sought-after features that modern tenants want to see on rental properties.
3. Integrated Security Systems
On their own, modern security cameras and intercom systems are effective security components that add value to properties and can be a swaying factor when retaining tenants.
However, these systems can be combined along with others (like alarm systems, and motion detection sensors) to create an integrated system that is greater than the sum of its parts.
Among the benefits of integrated security systems are:
- Centralized Monitoring: A single control panel allows landlords or security personnel to monitor all security components from one location, simplifying management and response.
- Intelligent Automation: Integration with smart technology enables automated actions based on predefined rules, enhancing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Data Consolidation: Integrated systems can consolidate data from different security devices, allowing for more accurate analysis and improved decision-making.
- Enhanced Response Capability: Integration between security cameras and intercom systems enables real-time communication and immediate response to potential security incidents.
Rental properties are significantly more attractive to potential tenants and existing tenants when visible and modern integrated security systems come as part of the package. By fully utilizing the latest technologies to create a cohesive and integrated security system, landlords can enhance the attraction of their rental premises and add value to the property.
Investing in Security: A Safe Investment
Landlords looking to retain tenants should consider a modern and multi-faceted security system. These are easy to install in existing buildings without being over-expensive or disruptive. It is also worth adding advanced security to any list of things you should renovate on older properties.
Recent advancements in technology have elevated systems like security cameras and intercom systems to a whole new level. These are now essential upgrades for landlords wanting to attract and retain modern tenants.