Water is one of the most important things in human life. It is a vital element for survival and humans can’t live even a day without water. Therefore, it has always been critical to have a good source of water that is clean and healthy. Unfortunately, most of the sources of drinking water in homes are not as good as they should be. The tap water that runs from your faucets can contain harmful substances such as lead or other metals which make the water unsafe to drink. Here are the reasons why having clean drinking water in your home is important.
To Protect Your Health
The impurities found in bad quality water can have a negative effect on the health of people. If you drink water that contains high levels of lead, for example, it will have a serious impact on your health including problems with your kidneys and brain. For the sake of your health, getting a water filtration system is essential whether it’s reverse osmosis filters or another system. Here are some health risks from different contaminants.
- Chlorine -If you drink water that contains chlorine, it can damage the cells of your body and affect the functioning of your immune system. It can also cause an uncomfortable taste in drinking water.
- Industrial Waste- Industrial waste is another impurity found in tap water around the world. This type of wastewater which contains chemicals can make water harmful for use especially if it’s found in high levels.
- Arsenic- Exposure to arsenic can cause damage to the nervous system, skin disease, heart disease, and cancer. It is also linked to reproductive problems in women and children as well as developmental problems in infants.
- Fluorine- When fluoride is consumed at high levels, it can lead to dental problems as well as have a negative effect on the bones and teeth.
- Iron- If you have been exposed to too much iron from drinking tap water, there’s a risk of having stomach cancer or other gastrointestinal diseases.
- Sodium- Drinking water that contains high levels of sodium can cause health problems like hypertension.
- Nitrates- This is another impurity found in tap water which, if consumed at high levels over a long period of time, can cause serious health risks including having digestive problems and even cancer.
To Prevent Corrosion of Water Pipe Lines
Lead and other corrosive materials can cause damage to the water pipelines which makes them vulnerable to corrosion. The result of this is that the pipelines may burst and lead to flooding in homes and buildings. This can be a serious problem especially when it happens at night during sleep time and if you don’t realize fast enough, there might be severe damage to the properties.
For Better Taste of Water
Water is best known for its refreshing taste. If you drink water that doesn’t taste good, it can affect the appetite of the person and may not be satisfying. Drinking water that tastes good makes the person stay hydrated longer. Dehydration can cause many problems. Such as:
- Dull skin
- Puffy eyes
- Muscle cramps
- Constipation and other digestive problems
To Prevent The Rusting of Appliances
Hard water contains high levels of minerals like magnesium, calcium, and iron which causes them to deposit in different appliances. When too many of these deposits are present, they can cause damage or even rust. The result of this is the appliance may not function well and even need replacement in the future. The most commonly affected appliances are:
- Coffee makers
- Washing machines
- Toilets and other bathroom fixtures
- Domestic water heaters
- Pots and pans
To Protect Your Sump Pump in The Home
If you have a sump pump in your basement which is used to get rid of rainwater and to prevent flooding, then the condition of this equipment will depend on how clean and healthy the water that runs into it is. If you use bad-quality tap water, there is a risk that the sump pump will be corroded and worn out quickly. The result of this is that the pump will not work effectively during rainfalls and there is a high chance flooding may occur in your house. This may cause significant financial damage to you which can be prevented if you get rid of bad quality drinking water from your home.
Clean drinking water is very important. It not only keeps your body healthy but also keeps the appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, coffee machines, etc. clean and functioning well for longer periods of time. For these reasons, it is recommended that you invest in water treatment equipment or a good filtration system so as to have clean drinking water at home always.