Electricity is a powerful force; it can be dangerous if you aren’t careful. If a person is shocked by electricity that travels through their body, the results can cause severe permanent injury.
Electrical shocks may also lead to power wastage, so we must always find ways how to save electricity in the kitchen. Besides the many things that could cause an electrical shock, sometimes you may not even realize it’s happening until it’s too late.
Here are some great tips from Down Under to prevent electrical shocks in the kitchen:
1. Avoid Water As Much As Possible While Working With Appliances
A kitchen is a dangerous place when it comes to electrical safety. Hence, you should never work with electricity and water in one go. Water is an excellent conductor of electricity, so contact with it can cause electrocution or even an electrical fire.
Ensure there is no water nearby if you’re using any electrical appliance in the kitchen. If you’re cooking or washing dishes, keep all appliances at least three feet away from your sink area or other potential sources of moisture like wet spills on the countertop or flooring around your workspace.
Additionally, keep appliances away from water sources like sinks, faucets, and drains to prevent rusting or short-circuiting. Water can also damage the internal components of an appliance if left inside for long periods without being drained properly first before putting them back into storage. As such, it is crucial to consider these when designing your kitchen.
Moreover, don’t touch a wet metal object with your hands or feet. This includes faucets, sinks, and metal objects on the floor.
2. Do Not Plug Multiple Appliances Into One Outlet
A power outlet can only afford limited power capacity. Thus, check the manual of the appliances you use to see how much power is required for its safe usage.
- Do not overload an outlet by plugging in appliances like coffee makers, blenders, and microwaves in the same outlet.
- Do not use a surge protector or extension cords with your appliances.
- Don’t place power strips on the counter or in drawers where water can leak onto them and cause a shock hazard.
Likewise, install more power outlets in your kitchen to mitigate the risk of overloading the existing outlets.
3. Unplug Appliances When They Are Not In Use
This tip can prevent unintended shocks if you’re cooking and need to move an appliance out of the way while you prepare food.
Simply unplugging your appliances will prevent any accidents from occurring. As you do this, remember to grab the plug instead of the cord because unplugging using the latter may damage the plug, resulting in unsecured connections. So, the possibility of a short circuit is high in this case.
4. Use The Right-Sized Power Cord For Your Appliance
Avoid using a power cord that is too small or too large. If the power cord is too small, it won’t have enough capacity to handle the energy load you’re putting on it. This could cause damage to the appliance and even result in a fire in your house.
On the other hand, there’s a risk of overheating and damaging the appliance and yourself (or your house) if the power cord is too large.
In addition, if you notice that your electrical cord is damaged or frayed, replace it immediately. If your cord shows wear and tear, this may also signal a fire hazard.
5. Check Your Power Outlets
You should assess the condition of your power outlets regularly because they may appear functional at first sight but have internal faults without your knowledge.
Be wary of crackling or sparking sounds when you turn on the outlet. If you hear these sounds, consult an electrician as soon as possible.
6. Clean Your Appliances
It is critical to clean your appliances, especially those that come into close contact with greasy substances. Grease buildup can lead to malfunctions in your power outlets and subsequently shock you.
As a precaution, install your power outlets in a considerable space away from the stove.
7. Do Not Put Out Kitchen Fires With Water
At times when experimentation is happening in the kitchen, there’s always the possibility of something catching fire. When this happens, do not use water to put it out, especially when you’re unsure if the fire was due to electrical means or not. You will only make the situation worse and possibly shock yourself. So, ensure you have a fire extinguisher on standby for such cases.
Cooking and baking can be enjoyable experiences, as long as you keep your house’s safety in mind. Therefore, consider following any or all of the tips discussed in this article to ensure your kitchen is free from electrical shocks.